Thursday, September 15, 2011

Doug's Office

When it comes to our house I know exactly what I want. It tends to revolve around bright colors and bold patterns. Currently, Doug has one room in our entire house. He shares an extra bedroom with two dog beds and a grimy leather couch he found on Craigslist 10 years ago.  I want him to feel like it is OUR house but when it comes time for him to pick decor for his office I tend to be a little controlling. I am very well aware that this is his office and I want him to feel comfortable but I have  A LOT of trouble spending money on ugly ish. We are trying really hard to come to some sort of compromise. Everyone says marriage is all about compromise but I do not feel like that should be the case when furnishing your house. I think at one point there was a disscussion about painting  his dresser camo. Here is my best attempt at  a masculine office...

Doug's Office


De tulip family,
Solid brass and marble desk lamp,
Paterson Black Desk in Desks | Crate&Barrel,
Jute Bouclé Rug | west elm 
1STDIBS.COM - Sixteen Fifty Nine - Dorothy Draper - Dorothy Draper...

When did men become so opinionated about decorating? Would you let your significant other decorate a room in your house? Am I mean( do not be honest)?

8 comments:

  1. No! You are not being mean. Some of the biggest fights Mike and I have had are about decorating... I gave in a little in our current house, because we weren't married yet and he owed it, not me. However, once we purchase our first married house together, I will be decorating every single inch of it. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha. i like your board, i think mike would go for it except for the chair. you need a tufted leather wingback or something. that is ultra manly. mike is OBSESSED with tufted leather. he would love a chesterfield sofa in every room.
    mike puts up a fight at first, but eventually gives in and he has a creative streak. the blue table in our dining area was his idea.
    he didn't say one word about our eggplant bedroom. and i think actually likes most of what i do. unless it involves pink. he's not a fan of my la fiorentina pillows. his problem is once something is what he considers "done" he doesn't think it should ever be touched or changed ever again. uh yeah right. ok this is getting super long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGREE! The difference between the one room I decorated and the rest of Patrick's house is drastic. Don't even get me started on his theory for hanging art/pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! If I didn't control the decorating in our house, we would have every inch covered in concert posters. I gave him one option - paint the garage and do whatever you want with it. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh I think there should be a book written on this topic alone. My husband and I clash like no other when it comes to picking out things for our house. And his office is the #1 reason we bitch at eachother all the time. I have a little controlling streak in me too, ok a BIG controlling sreak. Like hello does HE read 2,930,534,534 design blogs a day, or live for the day design magazines hit the mailbox each month...umm I think NO! (well maybe yours does, I dont know him haha) What I did was have my husband tell me whats important to him in an office (like storage space, desk shape, etc.), what his ideal colors would be in an office and then I told him to zip it and I would plan the rest. I understand marriage is about compromise but hello, not when it comes to the decor in our houses, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that I am not the only overbearing wife. Decorating is my hobby, just like fishing is his hobby. It would be like me going fishing with him and telling him that he is doing it wrong. The way I see it, I know what is best and I am just going to do it anway and he will end up liking it. If our biggest issues revolve around home decor I think we are doing pretty well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think giving your man options/choices is a great idea. Pick out some things you think he would love (and that you could live with) and then let him decide what feels right to him. Always a good idea to have them invested in how some of the household $ gets spent.
    I used to ask the kids if they wanted 3 or 7 carrots for their lunch. They usually chose 3 but, HEY! I got them to eat carrots. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously said the same thing to my mom the other day. "When did men start having an opinion about decorating?" I hear you girl. Stay out of our domain!

    ReplyDelete